It's a map, of sorts, without all the messy lines.

Monday, May 30, 2011

I Love Being Lazy

Happy Memorial Day! Actually, I guess, let's all have a solemn, reflective Memorial Day because apparently this is not a holiday that's just a 4th of July warm-up. Who knew? I didn't until last night. Fail. Anyway, so let me say first of all, thank you to all the soldiers who have died fighting for America. I know they can't read this, but all the same, they deserve thanking. Whether or not I've agreed with the wars is immaterial; they went above and beyond to serve their country, and that they would give such a gift for something they so sincerely believed in is worthy of a bowed head. And that's all I'll say.

In a less solemn and totally unrelated note - I have just discovered the stats feature on this blog, and it's come to my attention that a large percentage of my readership is GERMAN! So HELLO, GERMANY! I've never been there but I hear it's nice. Maybe one day when I have the cash I'll do that European tour I've always wanted to do and check out Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Switzerland, etc. Maybe even Norway, but that's doubtful because Norway is cold as shit. 24-hour sun though, that's pretty sweet. I don't know, though, I might just hit up Alaska for that. Keep it local, you know how it is.

So I've taken a long weekend to just enjoy myself and relax at my parents' house. I came up Friday afternoon and chilled. Yesterday I accompanied my mother to her riding lesson, which was fun, except for the part where my mom got heat stroke and had to lay in the shade. She's totally fine, it's cool, no worries. It was hot as hell though, truth.

The problem with these long weekends of relaxation is that I always run out of time to do things I enjoy! I want to finish Treasure Island, I want to work on my writing, I want to fill out my FAFSA (okay, that's more of a need than a want but still), I want to tan, and I want to help out around the house because otherwise I feel like a total mooch. I can read and tan at the same time, so that knocks out two birds with one stone (thanks, Kindle! I love youuuuuu), but finding time for writing here is hard, just because there's always interruption and things going on. I've managed to get a few thousand words down but it's going trés slowly. I am determined NOT to fall into the same problem I did with the last book (way too long) but I also want to take my time with the story, too. I do think I can wrap this one up faster (less world-building, more expanding and a simpler "case") but it's still tough for me.

As far as the first one goes, I'm starting to step away from the emotional "Yay, I wrote a book, it's all mine!" and more to the analytical "it's pretty good but if I just tweak this . . ." That is, I think, a really good thing. I have a couple people beta reading for me at this point, so I'm excited to hear back from them. I would say, hesitantly, that you could look for it by Christmas or early next year. No telling though, it's not like I'm on a time table!

And that's all the news that's fit to print. Sorry I'm kind of boring recently - I always try to think of things to blog about, but I'm fairly terrible at that. I suppose that comes with time, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment