It's a map, of sorts, without all the messy lines.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Curiosities of Life

One of the most remarkable things you learn about yourself, when you finally move out of your parents' house and start the rough journey of living on your own, is how objectively disgusting you are as a human being. Sure, your parents always told you "clean up after yourself, you filthy creature!*" but you never really believed them. You always thought, somewhere inside, that you weren't really that disgusting. You couldn't be! If you were like me, you reasoned it away: you don't really drink much, you don't smoke, you shower regularly, how could you possibly be a dirty person?

When you move out, of course, you discover that no matter how much you shower, how clean you live, you are a human and therefore are a base, foul - putrid, really - and venal creature. Not only that, but you are lazy. How do you know you're lazy? Because you let your apartment get to the point where you can truly appreciate how vomit-inducing you are. Normal people wipe up here and there, and don't have to dust off the Fantastik just to use it. But no, you - you - are not a normal person. You just leave everything until one day you look at your living space and nearly retch at the squalor that you suddenly recognize.

Well, that's what I do anyway. Maybe you all, gentle readers, are normal people, that clean your living spaces. I mean, I tidy. Sort of. And I try to keep things neat. But I don't actually clean all that often. Now, though, now I swear I will clean more. I can't be faced with the basic messy nature of my humanity on a regular basis like this.

In other, non-cleaning related news, I am planning on introducing a new feature to the blog that I think you all are going to really enjoy. It will probably emerge within the next few days. The only clue I'll give you is that it is somewhat in the same vein as the book reviews; less serious, though, certainly. I hope you all get a lot of enjoyment out of it - I've had a lot of fun thinking about how to pull it off. I'll probably start working on it in a day or so, so look for the first installment over the weekend!

* This may have only been my parents.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally filthy. And damn proud of it. My room should be labeled with "Isolation Precaution" signs...

    ReplyDelete