It's a map, of sorts, without all the messy lines.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In which writing continuously vexes me.

Today, Sam Starbuck wrote up a post about writers and writing. As I've mentioned, I really admire Sam, although what he writes isn't exactly to my tastes; he's accomplished a lot and he's been very savvy about it. And whether or not what he writes is my "type" he writes a lot, and he writes very well. Enviable, indeed. So when the man talks about writing, you bet your buttons I listen up.

Anyway, Sam linked to this article about the importance of story to . . . well, a story. And honestly, it sounds so stupid when I write it like that but IT'S NOT. The article is actually really great and has some wonderful reminders in it for all writers, brand new or old hat. Roland is dead on when he says characters and story are so deeply intertwined that it's hard to imagine a character without a story and vice versa. I know I tend to take more of a "Frankenstein's Monster" approach to characters - which is a very apt metaphor for the long process of building up this character, who they are, what they look like, etc. - but it all sort of falls away and comes back together when I'm writing.

Example: My zombie character, Tiberius, died in 1863. Originally, when I was writing the character, I had imagined he'd be sort of overwhelmed and confused constantly because the world had changed so much, and that worked at first. It was reasonable, even. But as the story went on, Tib's character shifted and I realized that for the story to work, and perhaps because of the story itself, he had to be a lot stronger than that. And so I saw him shift from sort of a confused lost little lamb to a oft-bemused smartass. He still has a hard time "getting" modern America but rather than every little thing throwing him hard, he sort of rolls with the punches. It was an interesting change, and certainly not intended, but I'm quite happy with it nevertheless.

On a tangent, one of Roland's other points - "Lots of things happen, but the protagonist responds in exactly the same way each time. There is no sense of progression in the story" - is exactly what bothers the hell out of me about Twilight. GODDAMN BELLA DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. She just languishes and waits for Edward. Someone tries to kill her? Languish. Edward is gone and possibly in danger? Languish. Out of laundry detergent? LANGUISH. And then Edward shows up with the Tide and they make out. Every. Single. Time.

Anyway, that article was really wonderful and everyone who wants to write something one day, or has written something, or just is interested in the craft of writing (lol pretentious) should definitely read it. It's given me a lot to think about, especially as I prepare to do my second read-through of my own story and really tear into it (DON'T MAKE ME TAKE OUT THE MINI GOLF SCENE NOOOOO).

No comments:

Post a Comment