It's a map, of sorts, without all the messy lines.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I live!

I'm alive, well, and happy to be back! Not that I actually went anywhere, but our brief off-air hiatus was mainly due to the fact that I totally retreated into my schoolwork. What can I say, this nursing thing is strenuous.

My first two days of clinical were happily non-fatal to myself or the patient. I am still not totally sure of this all yet, nor have I really got on my feet as far as doing a lot of things goes (ex: emptying the Foley bag or remembering to take temperature every time I take vitals, damn thing is easy to forget lol). That said, I'm not totally disgraceful at anything, and I think with a little time I'll be all over it. The trick is staying positive with myself while I go through that change.

I've been writing a little here and a little there. I'm really getting the itch to do a lot of editing on the first book, but I really want to wait for people to finish reading it because knowing myself I will just go and make it worse. I'd like to get the story coherent, and I think it is for the most part, but there are a lot of plot holes and a LOT of things I'd like to go through and fuss over to explain them. I'd like it if Tiberius were to show up a little earlier, for one thing. I'm also considering shortening the overall timeline of the entire story so that it doesn't take an entire school year to get through.

There's parts that I really need to get rid of. Miniature golf needs to go, but the way the story is set up right now it's the major part that establishes the relationship between the main characters. Grace could do with more of a part, but then again it might be fine with her the way it is - I'll see what people say. Overall there's a lot I want to work on but from where I'm standing I don't have the time to focus on it, so I'm just going to have to keep jotting down ideas and collecting them for when the time comes.

It's all very tedious, very complicated, and very frustrating. But hopefully, at the end, very rewarding.

In other news, it's the 1 year anniversary for my dog and me today! Hooray, RD! I remember last year when I saw him at the Humane League, frantically avoiding me at all costs, urinating furiously on everything in the visiting room, skulking around the edges of the room and thinking, "Yes, this is the one I must have. This is my dog."

On reflection, I may need a mental evaluation of some sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment